Vitamin B-12 (277.92%)
Strombus gigas generally generally known as queen conch is a big, marine and gastropod mollusk. A lot of the mollusks together with queen conch belongs to class Gastropoda and the identify was translated from Latin as abdomen foot. Different mollusks embrace clams, oysters, squid and octopus. The phrase mollusks are derived from Latin phrase molluscs which suggests gentle. Mollusks belong to the phylum of invertebrates with greater than 100000 recognized species.
Queen conch is tender bodied animal having exterior and spiral formed shell with inside shiny pink or orange. They stay in sand, coral reef and seagrass mattress. Usually, it’s present in heat and shallow water not deeper than 70 ft (21 meters) all through Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea ranging as far north as Bermuda and as far south as Brazil. It reaches full measurement in Three-5 years of age and grows to most size of 12 inches lengthy weighing 5 kilos. It’s a lengthy lived species reaching 20 to 30 years previous. The estimated lifespan is about 40 years.
Grownup has giant, heavy and strong shell with knob like spines on shoulder, a flared thick outer lip that includes pink coloured aperture. In youthful specimens, flared lip is absent utterly. An exterior anatomy of sentimental elements of Lobatus gigas is similar to different snails in the identical household. It has two eyestalks with well-developed eyes, lengthy snout and further sensory tentacles, corneous sickle formed operculum and robust foot.
It serves as residence to varied forms of commensal animals comparable to porcelain crabs, slipper snails and cardinal fish. It might embrace parasites named coccidians. Queen conch is hunted and consumed by a number of species of huge predatory sea snails, additionally by crustaceans, starfish and vertebrates reminiscent of sea turtles, fish and people. Sea snail’s meat is eaten by people in numerous dishes. Shell is bought as memento and used as an ornamental object. It has been used traditionally by indigenous Caribbean individuals and Native People to create numerous instruments.
It’s protected underneath Conference on Worldwide Commerce in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) settlement by which it’s recorded as Stombus gigas. It is because of excessive overfishing as meat is an important meals supply for people. CITES regulation is printed to halt export of meat of this species and the business export of shells is used as ornamental objects.
Fertilization is inner. The feminine spawns about hundreds of eggs in lengthy tubular egg mass. Spawning happens throughout summer time. Giant egg plenty take upto 36 hours to supply and maintain from 310000 and 750000 eggs. Egg plenty are coated with sand for camouflage and larvae seem after 5 days. Throughout a season, single feminine spawn between six to eight occasions. Larvae are referred to as veligers, float in open ocean and feeds on phytoplankton and drift appreciable distance from website the place they emerged although proof is restricted. Later between 18 and 40 days, larvae settle into sand and metamorphose into grownup type.
Grownup migrate to deeper water when their measurement will increase and seasonal migrations happen throughout summer time months. Conch strikes by uncommon hopping movement the place foot is thrust towards backside which causes the shell to rise and thrown ahead. They’re lively principally throughout night time and graze on detritus and algae with using extendable proboscis. Gastropod produces giant spiral shell having spines that are although for cover. Shell has broad and fared lip which is wealthy pink in shade. Inside shell, gastropod’s head have two pair of tentacles. Bigger ones carry eyes whereas smaller pair supplies sense of contact and odor. Giant foot is seen at lip of shell. In recent times, giant and lovely shell is prized by vacationers.
Often grownup shell is 15 to 31 cm (6-12 inches) lengthy and most measurement reported is 13.9 inches (35.2 cm). Shell could be very heavy and bought having 9-11 whorls and extensively flaring & thickened outer lip. The shell of grownup snails has construction generally known as stromboid notch is current on fringe of lip. This notch isn’t properly developed in species as it’s in numerous different species in similar household. The shell function is nonetheless seen in grownup dextral specimen. Spire is larger than within the shell of different strombid snails resembling intently related and even bigger goliath conch native to Brazil. The shiny end round aperture of grownup shell is primarily coloured in pink shades. Often the pink glaze is pale and might present the coloration of cream, yellow or peach nevertheless it might be tinged typically with deep magenta shading to purple. Periostracum is a protein layer in outermost a part of shell floor which is skinny and tan or pale brown in shade on this species.
The morphology of general shell isn’t decided solely by animal genes; environmental circumstances resembling meals provide, geographic location, depth, temperature and organic interactions similar to predation publicity can have an effect on it tremendously. Juveniles type heavier shells when uncovered to predators as compared that aren’t uncovered to predators. Conch develops thicker and wider shells having fewer however longer spines when dwelling in deeper water. The shell of small juveniles is totally different in look from grownup. The shell of juvenile has easy and sharp lip which offers hell a biconic and conical define. Subadult shells possess flared lip i.e. very skinny. Till demise, flared outer lip of grownup shell will increase continuously in thickness with age.
Conch is gonochoristic which means every particular person snail is both distinctly male or feminine. Often females are bigger compared to males in pure inhabitants having each sexes present in comparable proportion. The interior fertilization is occurred. In gelatinous strings, feminine lay eggs that might be so long as 75 ft. It’s layered on patches of naked sand and seagrass. Egg strings are lengthy and has sticky floor that permits them to agglutinate and coil, combining with surrounding sand forming compact plenty. The form is outlined by anterior portion of outer lip of feminine’s shell as they’re layered. Every egg plenty are fertilized by a number of males. Variety of eggs per egg mass varies enormously which will depend on environmental circumstances similar to temperature and meals limitation. In every season, females produce common eight to 9 egg plenty every containing 180000 to 460000 eggs however numbers might improve relying upon circumstances.
Throughout reproductive season, feminine spawn a number of occasions lasting from March to October with peak exercise occurring from July to September. After the eggs hatch, two lobed veliger emerges and spend a number of days creating in plankton and primarily feeding on phytoplankton. About 16 to 40 days of hatching, metamorphosis happens. Absolutely grown protoconch measures 1.2 mm excessive. People spend remainder of its lives after metamorphosis in benthic zone remaining buried throughout its first yr of life. It reaches sexual maturity at age of Three-Four years weighing 5 kilos measuring 180 mm shell size. Often people reside upto 7 years in deeper waters. Its lifespan reaches from 20 to 30 years and most lifetime is estimated to succeed in about 40 years. Resulting from their thickened shell, its mortality price is taken into account to be decrease in matured conchs however is considerably larger for juveniles.
Conch (Lobatus gigas) is considered a herbivore and different Strombidae feeds on macroalgae which incorporates purple algae, unicellular algae and seagrass and additionally algal detritus. It prefers inexperienced macroalga (Batophora oerstedii).
Conventional makes use of
- In Chinese language herbalism, Conch shell is used for treating menopause.
- In Ayurvedic drugs, it’s recognized for digestive and antacid properties.
- Blowing conch shell repeatedly helps to right speech of stammering youngsters.
- Additionally it is believed that blowing conch shell often clears blockages in coronary heart and additionally improves respiratory system.
- Retailer water in conch in a single day and within the morning use this water to therapeutic massage pores and skin. It cures pores and skin issues corresponding to allergic reactions, rashes, white spot and pores and skin illnesses.
- Retailer water in a single day in conch and add rosewater to it within the morning. Wash hair utilizing this combination. It helps to revive pure colour of hair inside few days.
- Drink 2 spoons of water saved in conch in a single day for treating indigestion, abdomen ache and laceration in intestines.
- Gently rub with conch earlier than sleep for 5 minutes per day to remedy darkish circles.
- Blowing conch is useful for bladder, urinary tract diaphragm, decrease stomach, neck and chest muscle mass.
- It additionally workouts thyroid glands and vocal cords.
- Individuals with hernia, hypertension and glaucoma when blown conch causes additional strain on the organs. Keep away from it.
- Study to blow conch from an professional as a result of careless blowing damages eye and ear muscle tissue and rupture diaphragm.
Methods to Eat
- Conch meat is consumed minced, marinated, uncooked and copped in numerous dishes resembling chowder, salads, soups, fritters, pates, stew and native recipes.
- It could possibly be added to burgers and gumbos.
- In Jamaica, it’s added to stews, soups and curries.
- In Grenada, Dominican Republic and Haiti, it’s consumed in spicy soup and curries.
- In Puerto Rico, conch is marinated in lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, onions, inexperienced peppers and garlic.
- Use it to fill empanadas.
- Delicately fried meat is utilized in chowders.
- Typically shells are used as ornament reminiscent of in cameo making or as ornamental planters.
- In Basic Maya artwork, conchs are used as ink and paint holders, trumpets, bugles and hand weapons.
- In numerous cultures, Conch shells are used as shell cash.
- In African-American and Afro-Caribbean cemeteries, shells of conch are positioned on graves.
- Sometimes, conch shells are used as constructing materials wither as a bulk for landfill or instead of bricks.
- In Tamil Nadu, conch is blown to chase away evil spirits throughout funerals.
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=1447993451926362&version=v2.3”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));